From human spit crystals and the science of snogging to hacked prosthetics that allow your facial movements to control digital games, MOUTHY will be a season packed full of surprising experiences that invite you to get involved and connect with your mouth in new ways…
Running from July to November 2016, MOUTHY invites you to delve into the orifice and explore the hidden world within – from the dark and gross to the miraculous – and asks you consider your own relationship with this amazing portal of self-expression.
The season has been shaped with expertise from our fantastic curatorial team.
- Professor Abigail Tucker manages a research lab that looks at the development of the head, and in particular the jaw. Part of her cutting edge research involves growing teeth from stem cells! Abigail has already started to collaborate with a team that will give visitors a unique view of animal mouths…!
- Gina Czarnecki is our artistic curatorial advisor, and brings with her a wealth of expertise in art-science collaborations to the season. Her work is often inspired by and works directly with the materiality of the human body, inspiring sculptures made from milk teeth to armchairs incorporating human fat.
- Dr Saoirse O'Toole has been peering into people mouths (as a qualified dentist!) for years but is always surprised by what people think about their mouths. She has enjoyed, among other projects, one that has looked at altering their mouths for purposes not usually described in dental textbooks!
- Dr Daniel Glaser is a neuroscientist who has worked for many years promoting public engagement with science, and is Director of Science Gallery London. He brings this experience to his curatorial role on MOUTHY, and has been blown away by the creativity and boldness of the projects we will feature.
Watch this space… We will soon announce what will be in the season the programme, and it will leave you gobsmacked!
Lizzie Crouch, Season Producer, MOUTHY
Can't wait to find to find out more about the MOUTHY season?
- Explore on Instagram the collaboration already underway with artist Inés Cámara Leret which involved collecting spit to create a crystal and read all about it here.
- For an insight into the creation of the visual idenitity for the MOUTHY season check out our blog.
- See how the MOUTHY journey begin by reading our Open Call for content for the season.
Mouth bacteria images by Sophie Evans